TENS Unit Rental for Labor
Our clients can receive a FREE TENS rental with their birth package! Can also be rented separately!
What is a TENS?
- It is mild electrical impulses that are transmitted through the skin, where they stimulate nerve fibers
- The depth of penetration is the same as for an acupuncture needle
- TENS is a NON-pharmaceutical support that when used as labor begins can decrease pain and discomfort as labor progresses
- TENS is safe and effective tool to use during labor whether you are planning an unmedicated birth OR birth with an epidural
Additional Info about TENS:
- Laboring client has full control over the TENS unit- which is a small hand-held device that can be carried or worn around neck with attached lanyard
- Laboring client is able to move freely and go about normal routines with the comfort and effectiveness of the TENS unit
- Laboring client may have a need to defer pain management medication in entirety or delay receiving pain medications
- Using a TENS unit does not impair your mental or cognitive function; it uses the Gate Control Theory of Pain (brings non-painful stimuli which overrides the discomfort of contraction) and also stimulates the production of Endorphins helping the body create its own pain-relieving hormones
When is a TENS unit not advised:
- Do not use a TENS before 38 weeks of pregnancy, as it can possibly increase risk for early labor
- Do not use a TENS unit or stimulating pads on broken or inflamed skin
- Do not use if you have a Pacemaker
- Do not use if you have a seizure disorder
- Do not use when in any type of water. Pads must be removed and can be replaced once you are dry
Please send us a message on our CONTACT page to ask us some questions or to reserve your unit for your upcoming labor.